Shouldn't the LAGB embrace Open Access Publishing

• 03 Nov 2015 22:45
    Message # 3614645
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

Dear All,

Following the very important developments over at Lingua, mightn't now be a good time for the LAGB to rethink its association with CUP (they charge a painful £1780 per article for OA) and set up and support a fully OA journal.  It is true, of course, that CUP subscription prices are nowhere near Elsevier prices but there is a more general (partly moral) case to be made.  It is a well known case that does not need to be rehearsed here again.

Any thoughts?

G.

• 04 Nov 2015 09:30
    Reply # 3615259 on 3614645
    Deleted user

Yes, I agree. Part of the reason they (Lingua) could do this is the financial support from the Association of Universities in the Netherlands (VSNU) to start the new OA journal Glossa. Where could we get similar support to have a viable alternative?

• 04 Nov 2015 11:12
    Reply # 3615357 on 3614645
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

If there is broad support for this (and I can't imagine anything else), it would be well worth contacting Johan Rooryck directly for advice.  He hasn't just founded Glossa, but also has a founding role in ling-OA (whose aims go way beyond Glossa).  He would know better than anyone how to manage the transition.

• 04 Nov 2015 16:11
    Reply # 3616389 on 3614645

Happily, the question of Open Access is already on the agenda for our next committee meeting, this Monday!

It's also not the first time that this is on the agenda - OA issues have been under discussion for a while now. I can safely say that the move with Lingua is just the visible tip of the iceberg in a development that has been in motion for several years. In the meantime, I've been giving talks (e.g. at the LAGB summer school last year) about the benefits of OA, and the LAGB also maintains an OA resource page.

We're in the fortunate position that the LAGB does not make any money from JoL at all, so there's no danger of us losing revenue, no matter what happens (though, as with Lingua, we don't own the title).

• 05 Nov 2015 11:33
    Reply # 3617708 on 3614645

The main consideration in OA publishing is not money but time. The ongoing costs can be quite small if there is a team of people willing to give their time and e-expertise to a project for something other than money. In a profession like ours, where kudos is often a bigger driver than cash, all that would seem to be needed is a different approach to "amateur" online efforts. If it wasn't for impact factors (a weird system in which value is judged by sympathetic magic) and peer review (a good idea, but all too easily turned into a papal curia) then the "professional" journals would have died years ago. All they really bring to the feast is a system that used to work - and their attempts to adapt this old model to the new world have hardly been stellar.

However, to really make OA publishing work for us (and not the accountants) we need to revisit some fundamentals in our profession. For instance, take peer review: does it matter that bad ideas get published with the good? The good ideas will get the citations, the bad ones won't - until, of course, it turns out that they weren't such bad ideas after all. Yes, there will be more raw material for us to wade through, but that only means that papers which set their ideas out simply and effectively will get cited, and rambling efforts will not. We already curate our students' reading with lists and bibliographies, so we already have peer review after publication - do we need it before publication, too?

Academia should be at the forefront of e-publishing, and it is only a conservatism based around the mystique of what we already have that seems to be holding us back. Could we harness (and value) the indirectly academic skills in our profession to better effect?

• 08 Nov 2015 17:56
    Reply # 3623362 on 3614645

I agree with a lot of what people have posted here about this, but not all of it.

**[quote]**

However, to really make OA publishing work for us (and not the accountants) we need to revisit some fundamentals in our profession. For instance, take peer review: does it matter that bad ideas get published with the good? The good ideas will get the citations, the bad ones won't - until, of course, it turns out that they weren't such bad ideas after all. Yes, there will be more raw material for us to wade through, but that only means that papers which set their ideas out simply and effectively will get cited, and rambling efforts will not. We already curate our students' reading with lists and bibliographies, so we already have peer review after publication - do we need it before publication, too?

**[end-quote]**

There's clearly a place for distributing unedited material, as people always have, and there are all sorts of ways to do that now, where are great. But the editing and peer-review process can add a lot to an article, and I'm not sure that I'd want to live in a world without editing. 

If we stick with editing and peer-review and something like the journals that we now have, then I would worry a bit about trying to produce a full journal cost-free. We could volunteer to do all the copyediting and related tasks ourselves, but that is a big commitment, and I'm not sure that we should have to give up our spare time to do it. As others have said or implied, APCs will likely be needed if the LAGB aims to make JL (or a replacement) free at the point of use (as for Glossa) and then we'd need a way of paying the APCs to avoid us having to pay to publish.

It may be that CUP would be more responsive a publisher than Elsevier, if the LAGB approaches them with this kind of worry. It would be very good to hear what the LAGB committee think about this after the meeting on Monday.

• 09 Nov 2015 10:27
    Reply # 3624293 on 3614645

I agree about the editing; but editing and peer review are two different processes (at least, I hope they are). However, neither of them need a formal process, there is nothing to stop people from asking friends and colleagues to act in either or both roles.

I do not think that an academic publication can work without an editorial team, but those are usually powered by kudos, not cash. However, the editorial role need be no more than final gatekeeper, saying whether something will or will not be published. In the end, it should be the court of citation that determines success.

The problem is that we have a need (publication), but it is currently wrapped in a set of interlocking conventions which basically lead back to money. If we want to remove or mitigate the money element then we need to revisit whatever is causing the costs. If we want to generate a new publication model then everything in the process should be reviewed. The traditional publishers have tried patching the old model and it hasn't really been successful.

Another "for instance" to think about: currently we cite papers with the journal they are published in. What purpose does this serve now that we have search engines, except to give the reader a spurious indicator of quality?
© LAGB