Linguistics in school

• 25 Oct 2013 10:45
    Message # 1421036
    Dear Colleague,

This is an invitation to register yourself online as an enthusiast for linguistics in school. I'm using every relevant mailing list that I can think of, so I'm afraid you may get multiple copies - if so, I'm sorry but it probably means that you are an enthusiast, so I hope you won't mind.

As I'm sure you're aware, the Education Committee of the LAGB and CLIE (the Committee for Linguistics in Education) have been working for some decades to build bridges between academic linguistics and our schools, but a number of recent developments in schools have brought significant progress. One of the main challenges, of course, is that most teachers haven't been trained in linguistics, so we're keen to find all those teachers who do have such training, even if it's only a small amount and long ago. Another challenge is that although many linguists in HE are enthusiastic about bringing linguistics into schools, few of us have experience of teaching in schools and we all struggle to keep up with school developments; so we're also keen to find who these HE enthusiasts are. Hence the online register to find all enthusiasts, whether school teachers or HE linguists.

The register is at http://lagb-education.org/register-of-enthusiasts . It contains just 12 questions (including your name and email address), and you can keep the answers as short as you want. Its main function will be to provide a mailing list that we can use for occasional mailings either to update you on recent developments, or to invite volunteers for projects. Please register, and expect a mailing in the next week or so.

Best wishes, Dick Hudson

-- 
    Richard Hudson (dickhudson.com)
© LAGB