Jack Chambers Distinguished Speaker at Newcastle University

• 29 Mar 2012 19:45
    Message # 871803
    The Centre for Research in Linguistics and Languages Sciences (CRiLLS) at Newcastle University is delighted to welcome Prof Jack Chambers (University of Toronto) as this year’s Distinguished Speaker. 

Jack Chambers will give a public lecture and two seminars at Newcastle from 17th-19th April 2012. No registration required for the public lecture; please register for the seminars at the address at the bottom of this message.

Details of the programme are given below.

TUESDAY 17TH APRIL 5.30pm PUBLIC LECTURE 

It’s Not Your Fault: Cognition and ‘Bad’ Grammar
    5:30 p.m. Curtis Auditorium, Herschel Building, Tuesday 17 April 2012

Abstract
    Usage variables usually involve superficial aspects of linguistic structure, but those that are stable and persistent reach deeper into the language faculty. Two grammatical niceties of standard English that are frequently botched even by people who consider themselves standard-bearers are Subject-Verb Agreement with dummy subjects (as in There's twelve months in a year for There are twelve months...) and Accusative Case Concord with Conjoined Pronouns (as in Between John and I, we won three games for Between John and me...). Unlike normal variation, the nonstandard variants are not seen as stylistic choices but as mistakes. These usage variables arise not because of failings of the education system but because of the futility of its expectations. Their persistence as grammatical prescriptions reinforces key concepts in variation theory, especially the concept of standard grammars as ideologically-motivated social constructs.

18TH/19TH APRIL : SEMINARS

Vernacular Roots of Multiple Negation 
    11am, Wednesday 18 April 2012 in Research Beehive 2.22

Abstract
    In 1921, H.L. Mencken complained that multiple negatives like “I don’t see nobody” were “well-nigh universal forms” in place of “I see nobody.” He was exaggerating, as usual. Multiple negatives are forbidden in standard grammars in all national varieties. They do occur occasionally, but when they do they are socially stigmatized and usually ‘corrected’. In spite of the stigma, they persist hardily in non-standard dialects everywhere. In pidgins and creoles, they are obligatory. Astoundingly, they occur in child-language even in the absence of adult models. These patterns recur in Spanish and other languages as well as English. I will present an integrated theory to account for the dogged persistence of multiple negation.   

Telly Talk and Your Talk
    11 a.m. seminar, Thursday 19 April 2012 in Research Beehive 2.20

Abstract
    We assume that mass media, especially television, influence our language by transmitting dialect across great distances. Certainly the media disseminate certain vocabulary itemsundefined mainly fashionable slang and buzzwords. But what about phonology and grammar, the deeper levels of language? I will look at sociolinguistic case studies for evidence of media exposure as a factor in language change. I will also look at new psycholinguistic evidence that bears on media as an agent of language change. The results call into question popular convictions about mass media as a social juggernaut.

If you are attending either/both of the seminars for catering purposes please can you register at http://forms.ncl.ac.uk/view.php?id=3012
    Please send any enquiries to Sheila Heppel at crills@ncl.ac.uk

© LAGB