The LAGB Student Committee are seeking to nominate two postgraduate students to join their ranks in the capacity of Secretary and Communications Officer.
Forming part of the LAGB Committee, the Student Committee aims to represent the student members of the LAGB, and to provide a conduit through which issues and concerns on behalf of students can be raised. The Student Committee is also tasked with a number of key objectives: to disseminate news and opportunities to the wider student community, and to assess funding applications for postgraduate conferences. Peer-reviewing forms an important part of a scholar's continuous professional development, and the experience offered by contributing to the Student Committee would be extremely beneficial to candidates looking to progress into an academic role after the PhD.
About the roles:
In addition to supporting the Student Committee in achieving their key objectives as outlined above, candidates appointed as Secretary and Communications Officer will be given specific responsibilities.
- Takes minutes at LAGB Student Committee meetings;
- Collects items for and disseminates agenda before meetings;
- Liaises with Student Committee to organise meeting times/dates.
- Primarily responsible for LAGB Student Committee email account and ensuring queries are responded to;
- Ensures a strong LAGB Facebook and Twitter presence;
- Responsible for improvement and updates for website (in tandem with LAGB main committee webmaster).
How to apply:
Postgraduate students (at any level) are encouraged to submit a 500 word statement of interest, indicating how they might contribute to the Student Committee. In addition, we asks that applicants provide the Student Committee with contact details of their primary supervisor, so that statements of support can be sought that can confirm the applicant's status and strengths. Applications should be sent to the Chair of the Student Committee no later than 31st August 2015. General inquiries in relation to both roles can be submitted to the committee’s collective email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.